Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Lesser

I just removed two of my favorite designer blogs from my Feedly.  It's been coming for a while.  Design blogs used to be the average person (like me!) who likes to decorate their house and wants to share their choices and progress.  But it's not like that anymore.  It's just about making money and I'm over it.

It just feels weird to stop reading a couple of people who you once really adored.  They were like your favorite, you got so many ideas... blogging has really changed.

I think about my blog all the time, which is funny because obviously I never write here.  I always think to myself, just write for yourself, write what you want to write about and stop worrying who's reading it or the insignificance of it.

I have to admit, now that I know I'm living my life without being a mom, I feel a little lesser, a little what to do with myself, a little what matters now, what's important now.  It's a weird feeling to chase something for so long and then it's gone.  The "now what" is taking longer than I thought it would.

I think about all my friend moms on Facebook, they never post anything if it doesn't have to do with their kids.  So you can see how not having kids throws a huge wrench in what the hell am I supposed to write about because that's what everyone my age does.

And yet I still want to write here.  Write somewhere.

Sigh.

7 comments:

  1. It's funny, I have slowly removed all of the blogs I used to follow from my favorites, but yours still remains. I think I've followed you since your diet chick days! Your blog was always my favorite - go real and genuine and well written. You also have real talent with design. Now it's hard to tell what people really like - because it is just nordstrom or whatever else that can be rstyled to death. Nothing original or honest. And as far as the mommy stuff on blogs and social media, I just don't buy that anyone is a great parent when they always have their phone in their hand. I knew times had changed when I deleted dooce from my list. I got to the point where I couldn't even stand her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee. I think it says something that Dooce quit her blog, of course when you won't talk about anything you will run out of things to say.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Renee, I have also read you for years-and check in periodically to see if you have posted anything. I've always enjoyed your writing. Blogs have changed so much, I used to love reading what people did that day, nothing mind blowing, I enjoy reading about the routine things of other people's lives. Now it all seems to have to be some kind of "theme".

    I do hope you continue your blog-shoot, I like to read what people eat for breakfast, or what their cats are up to :) Anyway, just wanted to know that I am a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with Renee and Maureen :) I've been reading since the diet chick days as well, and always loved your site. I check every day / every other day to see if you've posted anything new :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you keep writing. I've followed for a long time, too. Your posts are well written and always interesting. I really enjoyed when you wrote about transforming your sweet cottages. And I am in awe that you can share your triumphs and struggles so honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also have followed your blog since diet chick days...love your blog, your design, and just have enjoyed anything your write about. Keep on keeping on sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also an ''old follower" from the diet chick days! I always loved your writing style and your honesty.

    ReplyDelete