Monday, August 18, 2014

This Old House

We finally broke down last night and called the AC company.  Unfortunately we got the service guy who always complains about our unit and our house.  It's such a downer.  I can't help that our AC unit is next to the deck.  I can't help that our crawlspace is 20 inches tall (at best).  I know it's a nightmare, but it is what it is.

He's out there for like 5 minutes and comes in and says it's the return duct work.  Brian's all IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT IT COSTS and I'm like SHUT UP DUDE.  He's supposed to call later today and I didn't want to give Debby Downer my number so he could tell me it'll cost $800 to repair and I have to make that decision so poor Brian who has a jury trial tomorrow will get his call in the middle of all that.  I did not live up to my wifey duties, however, I can't deal with this guy.

This whole summer we've been debating whether the issue was the return (what I think because it won't suck up paper and hardly any dust or hair) or the ductwork (what Brian thinks because the air is weak, yet cold).

When the repair man leaves Brian said, "You said, 'I knew it!' when he said it was the return but it was the duct work."

And I said, "Yeah the duct work of the RETURN, so I was right."  Really, we were both right though I think Brian thinks he's right.  If he was so sure then we should have just called the handyman to repair the duct line, now we're already $89 (service call) invested in this guy jacking up the repair cost because he hates our house.  I thought it was going to be more than the duct work because we just had some duct work replaced at the beginning of the summer.  But we think it happened after that because the air was working ok for a while and then it's progressively gotten worse.

Luckily this summer has not been very hot but my power bill was almost twice what it was last year at this time (in units used) so it's still a pretty big issue that has to be resolved.  Today the heat index is supposed to be in the 100s, so that sucks.  Our bedroom is still nice and cool thanks to our window unit supplementation. 

5 comments:

  1. I have requested I not (ever) have a certain service man, so that is an option. It was a dishwasher repairman. Kept same company, just asked that I never have that particular guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I need to find out who he is and request someone else.

      Delete
  2. What a bummer! I hope they send a different service guy the next time your AC unit breaks. That guy probably didn't realize that you just wanted the unit fixed as soon as possible, without the small talk or anything else. Hahaha! Anyway, I hope you've been faring better these days with a better or a new AC unit. All the best! :)

    Lashon Cheatham @ All About Air

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's unfortunate that your AC had to break down when the heat index went up to the 100s. I'm just glad to know that you had your bedroom to resort to when it started to get too warm. Anyway, I hope the unit has already been fixed by now. Thanks for sharing that, Lori! All the best to you!

    Shelley Coday @ C & C Heating & Air Conditioning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! It seems like you’ve gone through a lot of unfortunate incidents with your AC unit, not to mention that downer repair guy. How are things doing with the unit nowadays? I hope you haven’t had any major problems with it lately, so you wouldn’t have to deal with Debbie Downer ever again. Or were you able to successfully contact the repair company, so they won't ever send him again? Either way, good luck, and take care!


    Antonia Tran @ Mode Heating & Cooling

    ReplyDelete