Thursday, May 29, 2014

Beach Trip

We took them to the beach yesterday.  The beach was the one place where I thought, oh this will be easy.  I've spent my life from a beach chair watching other people's children and kids just seem to "get" going to the beach.  How many countless kids have I watched run from the surf as it approaches in full on laugh only to chase the receding water again.  Peace of cake.

Then it turns out the 3 year old is afraid of the ocean and the 2 year old runs at the water like he's a surfer about to dive in and paddle out into the waves.   He doesn't get that the wave will knock him down and possibly drown him.  So one of us stays on shore to play with the sand and the other one keeps the 2 year old from diving into the Atlantic Ocean.

Suddenly my fantasy of watching my children from a beach chair is kind of bullshit.  The tide is coming in and the 3 year old is freaking out, he will only stand behind our line of chairs.  I can get him to sit between my chair and his tiny chair to play with the sand.  We make 3000 molds of dolphins and I catch a glimpse of Brian pulling the little one from a wave about to take him out.

Yeah, this is going to be different but it's still going to be great. 

5 comments:

  1. LOL. We went camping on the Oregon Coast last August, when my older son was 1 month shy of turning 2. The Oregon Coast is not at ALL the type of beach-going you are doing, but we did take him down the trail to see the ocean near our campground. The long trail down the side of the cliff was sort of protected by plants, so it wasn't till we were alllll the way at the bottom that we could see and HEAR the waves crashing. Logan started crying and crying... the noise of the waves scared him so bad and he was inconsolable for the 10-15 minutes we spent on the beach. Could not distract him with playing in the sand or anything.

    You just can't predict how kids are going to react to certain things. But kids are also CONSTANTLY changing, so I'm sure with repeated exposure to the beach they will both be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's what I'm hearing. Luckily I can also fall back on to the fact that I was a generally scared kid. Not so much with the ocean but with other things. I hope he comes around, I'm crazy about water and want to share that with them. We're hoping to take them to my mom's pool soon and see if that gets a different reaction.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing how sheltered kids in foster care can be, and it's wonderful to think about all of the lovely, new experiences (and people!) they will have with you and Brian. Every little thing makes such a huge impression on their growing brains so just keep on nudging them toward new things and you'll be amazed at the transformations you'll see.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in general that's probably true but these foster moms have exposed them to a lot. Last year the 3 year old wasn't afraid of the water, this is something new, it might have something to do with the beach renourishment that turned the usually blue-green water to no-joke dark chocolate brown. As we all crested over the dune we were all like, "Yuck, what is up with the water." I wouldn't be surprised if he heard us and was like no way I'm getting in that water.

      Delete
  3. "Suddenly my fantasy of watching my children from a beach chair is kind of bullshit." - hahahaha!! There are many of moments in parenting like that but there are also grand and glorious moments. So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete