Friday, February 21, 2014

American Hustle Oscar Party

Just once, I'd love to throw a party without having to stick to the world's tightest budget.  Last year's Oscar party's theme was Les Miserable and I really loved picking a nominated movie and doing the whole party around a theme.  The issue I ran into is french food is expensive.  Without even being aware I ended up spending over $300 on just food (mostly Gruyere) for like 10 people.  The number one thing I walked away from that party was, watch your food budget.

This year my theme is American Hustle.


I really love the 70s, I grew up then and I'm still crazy for disco music. I thought ladies would look chic in their deep v-neck dresses and poufy hair.  I just bought a disco ball for the kitchen.  We've been letting Brian's hair grow out for the past couple of months and I'm going to try to curl it in a fashion I envision as Bradley Cooper, but in reality, we'll just have to see.

My invitations ended up way too simple.



I just couldn't quite get them where I wanted them to.  I thought the gold ombre effect would stand out more but it didn't really do the trick.  I did try to find the closest (free) copy of the actual font used in the movie poster.  I guess upon closer a closer look, I should have all capped my title and yes, my "e" is off, I think I like my "e" better.

I found these on pinterest and they were huge inspirations (that I apparently didn't use):


I really loved everything about this "vector."  I wanted to use it soooo bad.  I wanted to copy it sooo bad.  But I have picmonkey.com and basically MS Paint to do all my stuff and I played around with some hearts in Word for a while and then gave up.  If I was a little more sure of myself I would have hand drawn it with some plates and a ruler but then I thought I was going a little too preschool and didn't even try.  If I was a rich woman, I would have bought this vector, not sure what to do with it, I guess I'd buy Photoshop like a real blogger and then I could whip up some invitations in no time at all.  But I could do neither and really, I'd want to change colors (where's the aqua?) and not have the linoleum floor background, I should have played around with hearts more but I got in a hurry and had to knock it out.




I believe, unless our legs are being pulled, that this is an actual invitation to an Oscar party at Studio 54 back in the day.  I initially had this idea before even seeing this of taking the 54 logo and using our house numbers but then I saw the actual logo and realized that would be impossible and by making something up no one would get it.  Drats.

So I came up with mine and then decided I'd have them printed and I got them done for super cheap like $14 for 25 invites but because my design was so lame they look a little weird, a little overworked for something so banal.  I wonder if Truman and Andy were ever like, why did we make our invites so simple, where's the sparkle, where's the wow?

Mine came with simple white envelopes (not my favorite) and I used gold glitter heart stickers from etsy.com to secure the back.  So basically my husband was handing out what looked like Valentines to all his friends last week.  Ah, next time, next time it will be perfect!

.......

I've been working on the menu.  I'm fortunate to be able to pull from a variety of sources: glamorous looking basic Oscar foods, food from the seventies, and of course, Italian-American foods.  I wanted to focus on 70s appetizers but it wasn't the greatest era for that sort of thing (lots of jello from what I found).

I always do chocolate covered tuxedo strawberries, this year my idea is to have some of them in blue tuxedos using light blue candy coating.

Then I wanted to do something with Oreos.  Oreos feel very 70s to me because that's when I was a kid and Oreos were my favorite cookie.  So I'm making Oreo truffles.

A veggie platter is a normal thing for us to serve but I'm making sure to use Sour Cream and Onion dip and not Ranch.  I don't remember Ranch when I was a kid.

I saw lots of shrimp cocktails so even though we serve shrimp at most of our parties, it fits my decade.

Then for the main dishes I think I'm going with lasagna rolls.  And I've always wanted to do the little caprese salad appetizers.  I'm pretty sure no one did the caprese salad appetizers so famous on Pinterest now but it is a nod to all the ridiculous skewered things from the 70s (pineapple and cheddar cheese on a toothpick, anyone?).



Caprese Salad, Lasagna Roll-Ups, Tuxedo Strawberries, Oreo Truffles

.....

Clothing for a plus size woman is always an issue so I started early.  I ended up going with this dress from Macy's (it's sold out now so I won't bother linking).


It looks way better on the model than on me.  I was considering returning it if I found something else but then decided it would be fine.  Last year I wore a very short dress and was very uncomfortable sitting down so this year I'll be wearing a polyester nightgown with sequins, it'll be fine.  I haven't been able to have my hair colored in a while but the upside is my hair has gotten pretty long and I'm going to attempt to pile it on top of my head like Jennifer Lawrence (see movie poster above).  For Brian, I was so close to buying him a suit from the 70s off ebay, so close.  It would have been great.  Then I was going to buy him a 70s bow tie (they are bigger) but then I was afraid we couldn't tie it and I didn't want a clip on.  He has a 3 piece blue suit.  I think he'll wear the pants and vest with a shirt and we'll try to find him a tie from the department store that looks decidedly 70s.  I'm also thinking ascot but we'll see.

(This is going to be a disaster on Feedly, I'm so sorry guys, my photos overlap there for reasons I don't understand).

3 comments:

  1. You are so clever at your party planning. It makes me wish I was your friend and didn't live clear across the country from you. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh...I made those oreo truffles once. They are delicious, waaaay too delicious! I had to keep eating the ugly ones. I probably gained five pounds, never made them again! Be afwaid...very, very afwaid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear about your party!

    ReplyDelete