Tuesday, January 28, 2014

House Paint Choices

I've been on the fence about how I feel about the house color and I decided to try putting some of my inspiration photos next to the finished house to prove to myself that I chose the right color, or should I say the color I was going for.  The collage below shows the two houses that I was most trying to copy and our actual house in the middle.


I don't think I'm too far far off.  I'm slightly more green which is funny because I almost went one step greener.  It's almost like our house is missing something (landscaping, obviously).  And although I have a pretty cool historic looking screened door and a porch swing you can't see in this photo, I still think it needs something.  I was thinking about a flower box on the left side.  Also I don't have any of my porch stuff on the porch because someone still has to paint the porch floor.  Also the camellia is in a sad state and even my liriope is like, "Isn't winter over yet?"

But this makes me feel a little better about the color. Maybe I'm just in the wrong season to get the full effect.  Ah, if I went just slightly bluer.

7 comments:

  1. I actually prefer the color you chose. I also was thinking about a window flower box on the left side before you even typed it! See this window box: http://homeaccentinterior.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/black-window-frame-vintagevintage-window-boxes---antique-rustic-styles-from-windowboxcom-ooch3ao1.jpg

    Or something simpler that was both white and was trimmed in the same color as your front door with elaborate detailing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hanging ferns from the first house but ferns are so fussy and easy to kill - maybe another, less difficult hanging basket? I like the color you chose best, though, and it will look perfect once it's warmer and your outdoor plants get happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color! I agree it does need some sort of focal point, but I think the color is great. It is a littler greener than your inspirations, but I think it looks cheerful and beachy. I see that color a lot down in the Keys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shutters....both of the other houses have shutters, but I'm thinking your space on the porch between the door and the windows is too narrow, so perhaps wider trim or a pediment on the windows in white?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Rebeckah about the wider trim or pediment, but color is beautiful. Such a cute house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Rebeckah, wider trim and definitely the flower boxes. Color's great, such a cute house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys have great ideas. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at that house and wished I could put up shutters but you can't see it very well but there's a cut out on the window trim so it just fits into the roof. That also makes pediments difficult, I'm afraid it would end up looking odd with an even bigger cutout. I like Denise's idea of hanging plants, I already have the hooks and I always mean to get ferns but then I delay and then it's 95 degrees everyday and I know they won't make it. We'll probably have to put off a window box for a while, other projects are more pressing but I think I am going to try hanging flowers or ferns this year and just see how it goes. Then when we can, I want a regular wooden box, painted white of course, that will run the span of the window. Watering those flowers aren't exactly easy either, but I won't have to reach as high, at least.

    ReplyDelete