Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Chafing Solutions

I'm one of those weirdos who don't even own a pair of jeans.  In fact, I rarely wear pants and if I do they are yoga pants.  I'm a dress kind of girl.  But being a chubby girl living in a hot climate brings a very uncomfortable problem.  I'm talking about thigh chafing.  I know, it's such an embarrassing topic.

I have tried all the popular options from using my deodorant on my thighs to baby powder to a chafing gel designed for this very problem.  Baby powder was my favorite, despite the cloud of white powder, I love the smell of baby powder.  The problem is my sensitive skin.  You won't believe this but baby powder clogged pores and gave me bumps on my thighs. 

I recently found out about Monistat Chafing gel and I thought it was the perfect solution.  During our trip to DC we did a lot of walking it and it was a very hot weekend.  Every time we stopped for a bathroom break, I'd reapply but I guess because it was TOO HOT it really wasn't doing the trick for me.  It would dry right up in about a minute and I'd be back to square one.  Plus, who wants to rub something on their thighs every half hour.


Chafing Solutions


Enter, Jockey Skimmies. 



They kind of look like Spanx but they are not tight and they are very breathable. They don't bind your waist (or roll down) or squeeze in your thighs, they are very comfortable to wear, like wearing tights that go to your knees.  I'm a new lady with these shorts.  I've been wearing them for a couple of weeks now.  I will say one day it was blistering hot outside and we were walking more than usual and I noticed the skimmies would rid up a little and I'd have to pull them back down.  Also because it was hot and I was wearing underwear, skimmies, and a maxi dress of polyester jersey I was about to have a heat stroke and had to change clothes when I got home.  But every other day that I've worn them I haven't had a problem.  I don't even think about them.  They are a great solution for me and I wanted to share with you.

The downside is they only go up to XXL and although I find the XXL to work for me, I did have the riding up problem on our super hot day and maybe a bigger size would have helped that.  I wish these came in Plus Sizes, they are designed for us in mind, it really doesn't make any sense.  But they are very stretchy and I find the XXL does the trick for this 2X gal.

I'm not sponsored in this post, I wish I was, so I could do a give away or something fun, but I wanted to let you guys know about any solutions or great products I find so here you go.  Let me know if they work for you or if you have other chafing solutions.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Lori! Great minds think alike - I have a very similar solution. When I wear a dress, I wear bike shorts. I buy the cheap ones from W-M. they aren't "real" bike shorts with extra padding or anything - they are a slightly shorter version of what you've shown here. They go up to larger sizes, they are relatively inexpensive so I have 6 or 7 pair. I wear them like underwear since I have to many which keeps the layers down. I have found this to be the best solution as well.

    Our son just moved to Wilmington! (My stepdad manages a marina there).

    Take care,
    Neca, who used ot be in NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on this one as I'm most often in a dress or skirt myself!

    How about trying just a standard pair of plus-size bike shorts? I would think that a pair made of the sweat-wicking material would be especially helpful. I know Lane Bryant sells them online as well as Walmart online.

    Also, perhaps you should contact one of the plus size workout lines to ask about becoming a brand ambassador? Can't hurt and wouldn't it be fabulous to have lots of pretty clothes for free???

    Denise
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, these are like bike shorts but they are thinner like tights. I also have a problem with bike shorts and the seam being right where my thighs meet. These have two seams meeting at the front side (like 10:00 on the right leg) and back side (like 8:00 on the right leg), so hard to visualize that, but therefore there's no seam that rubs when you walk. Speaking of, why don't they make these with no seams, like tights. I think I'm on to something here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard of these? I'm not at all associated with them, just sharing: http://www.bandelettes.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like thigh high hose. I feel like these would resolve the extra heat issue and they're kind of cute. I wonder about the silicone and if the lace is scratchy. Great idea though. I'd love to try these out.

      Delete
  5. Runners use a product called Body Glide (available at amazon) to combat chafing --- worth a try? It would eliminate the extra layers/garments.

    ReplyDelete