Monday, February 04, 2013

House Tour - Dining Room

Next in the continuing series of the house tour is the dining room. The wall between the dining room and the kitchen was removed before we moved in. I thought this would really help open the space of the house and more importantly after using the tiny yellow house kitchen, make the kitchen larger and not so closed off from the rest of the house.

  Dining Room Through the Arch

I thought about taking out the arch but I'm glad I left it in. It closes off the living room just enough to make it feel more cozy and intimate but still open to the rest of space. The whole floor plan now really works well for parties.
 
Dining Room to Kitchen

Unfortunately the dining room photographs very dark. I did paint it a dark color but I think because of the double windows and the slider windows it picks up strongly from that natural light and the photos come out so dark. This is really not a dark space at all. I originally painted it an inky blue color and it always felt like it still looked purple to me (the yellow house's dining room was purple and I really wanted something different). I went with this color, a dark browny gray, that I was hoping would look like a chalkboard that the chalk had just been wiped away from, and I do think that's kind of how it looks. If you're curious, and you should be, this color is really great and BOYS like it, it's Kendall Charcoal by Benjamin Moore.

Dining Room to Living Room

Because I wasn't sure of the colors in the room before we moved in, I went with some very simple Pottery Barn silk curtains. These have a blackout lining that make them extra heavy. I wasn't looking for a blackout liner but that's what was on ebay so I went with it. I do think one day I'll make curtains for this room. I'm kind of over the silk curtain thing. And this room is easy, just two curtains. The mirror came from the old house. I left a few things there but I really wanted to take this mirror with us. It worked pretty well at the yellow house but I had to shuffle somethings around and put the china cabinet against the wall the mirror should be. One day, I really hope to buy a buffet to put where the china cabinet is and put this mirror above it. The china cabinet can go either where the mirror is or right next to the kitchen counter. But without the buffet it throws the balance of the room off so I had to put the china cabinet where it is. One day it will make more sense. I recognize that the mirror looks crammed into this corner, trust me.

 Dining Room

The china cabinet has been a life send for all those special serving dishes that don't fit into the cabinets. I love being able to see all my pretty things.

 China Cabinet

This is the same cabinet you may recall that we bought from a tiny little yard sale we happened to be driving past in our hoody neighborhood. I got it for a steal and then took it home and painted it and put fancy anthropologie knobs on it. It's one of my favorite pieces, so useful and pretty.

 Art in the Dining Room

A closeup of some of the art. This print was given to us the Christmas we got married. Brian's aunt didn't know it but the restaurant in the background is where we had our first date and where we celebrated our engagement. I also have a thing for these butterflies. I hope to keep adding to my collection. The colors are amazing.

 Close Up in the Dining Room

That "wish" banner has been on that mirror for years. I put it up one Christmas and then left it while we were going through our fertility stuff. And then the real desperation of trying to sell the old house in time to avoid foreclosure, that could have been really really awful but it worked out. I think about taking down the banner all the time but I'm still wishing.

 Bird Plates from Anthropologie

I went through a plate collecting phase (there's more in the kitchen!) and I really love these bird plates I found at Anthropologie. I am not afraid to verge on granny chic, it's a fine line.


Dining Room from the 
Hallway

View from the hallway.

Let's see, what I love most about the dining room, I love the extra space.  I really love my table.  We were going to replace it with a new table (new, old table) with a leaf and even got it home and I got cold feet.  I love the lines of my table.  I can't let it go.  We are going to try to fabricate a leaf for this table, we did determine that we could separate the table I just need a leaf.  That's on the to-do list. 

I love my parson chairs.  I've had them for-ever.  They are from Ballard Designs and I can tell you they last forever.  I haven't even replaced the slipcovers. 

I'm really happy with the wall color and glad I decided to repaint my inky-blue even though I thought for sure I was done painting once we moved in.  Sometimes paint doesn't work out.  I took me less than a day to repaint and a gallon of paint.  So worth it!

I love my chandelier.  I bought it from Crate and Barrel when we first moved into the yellow house and when we moved here I decided to bring it here.  It's so simple but it's large and makes an impact.  I'd love to put it on a dimmer.  Right now I just have 15w bulbs in each spot to keep the light down.  Dining rooms, in my opinion are meant to be moody and cozy.

Things I'd love to change.  I really want a new buffet.  The current layout was meant to be temporary but something always seems to come up (like right now we have to do the front porch before the plywood rots away).  But one day I'll get this layout perfect and have extra storage. 

I'd like to change the curtains.  I already have a good idea what fabric I would use and I think it's going to happen not too long from now.

We need a leaf!  We don't have many dinner parties, we had four, I think last year, but when you have a bunch of folks over a little more space would be great.  I think this will relatively easy for the handyman to make.  I don't need anything perfect, just something to get by.  We'll always use a tablecloth when we have the leaf in so I don't have to match the paint or the edging of the table doesn't have to be perfect. 

The chair situation.  Another issue we have during dinner parties is having enough chairs to sit everyone.  I already know what I want to replace my chairs with, actually I'd keep two of my chairs and put them against the wall (the way it is now, sort of) and then get either 2 or 4 smaller chairs to keep around the table.

So that's the dining room.  Kitchen should be next up.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, just beautiful!!! So calm and cozy. Looks like pages out of a magazine. Wish I had half your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Repainting the walls was totally worth it - they're spectacular in person!

    ReplyDelete