Wednesday, January 30, 2013

French Oscar Party Planning Committee

French Oscar Party


I've been trying to put something together for this year's Oscar Party.  I decided on a French theme (Les Miserables) and I've been trying to see if I could make French Macarons (see my instagram for my test runs).  I was going to go straight French with French flags and so forth like this






I already ordered the flags and the poofy white garland.  But then I saw this dress from Modcloth and it reminded me of all the pretty macaron photos I've been looking at lately and I knew that I wanted to go more mint and gold, than red, white, and blue, a more Marie Antoinette version of France.  I'm still working on my invitations but I put a couple ideas in my mood board.

I'm obviously set on desserts and have found some side items I'm interested in cooking but I'm still stuck on a main course.  Part of the problem is I'm such a picky eater, I don't like mushrooms or beans (or most vegetables, who am I kidding), and I'm trying to not cook anything in wine because we don't drink alcohol, obviously I'm not cooking rabbit or duck, I'm trying to avoid fish because it might stink up the house, and I'm quickly running out of French entrees.  If any of my wonderful readers can think of a French entree for me to make please let me know in the comments.

10 comments:

  1. First of all... Can I just say that I'm ELATED you are back ?! I'm a long time fan.

    What about a quiche? Quiche Lorraine??? French an easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiche? I feel like it's easy, cheap (ish) and delicious!Nice green salad on the side with a vinaigrette, there you go.
    PS I love that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about Salade Nicoise?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make crêpes! You can make them ahead and keep them warm in the oven then have guests fill them with sweet or savory fillings. Otherwise what about some quiches, a green salad with a classic French vinaigrette, crusty bread, a plate of French cheeses...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will crepes hold up in the oven? I love build yourself stuff. I didn't think crepes would be an option. Thanks

      Delete
    2. Yes, put them in the oven on the lowest setting right after you make them. You can basically put anything in a crêpe so you can have "meal" ones and dessert ones. Some people even fill, roll, pour sauce over the top, and bake for an entree.

      Delete
    3. I tried to reply to you but I don't know if it went through. You can make crêpes and then keep them in the stove on the lowest temp setting or making them a day ahead and store them between sheets of parchment. I'll see if my other comment came through.

      Delete
  5. I like the quiche idea. Since I'm so focused on the desserts I like being able to have something simple like quiche and I can make 2 for our vegetarian friends. I think I thought it was too easy or too similar to the frozen mini quiches we sometimes serve but these would be homemade. I like it. You guys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caramelized shallot and smoked gouda is my favorite veg quiche combo just FYI :-)

      Delete
    2. Mini croque monsieurs (google for recipes). Basically just grilled cheese (with fancy cheese!) and ham. Who doesn't love grilled cheese? And I just love mini-anything. I echo the comment that I'm glad you're back!

      Delete