Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oscar Party Planning Committee, Cont.

The Food!

I've actually done the "Oscar Party on a Diet" thing before.  I used "Cook This, Not That" and made the mac and cheese and the chicken tenders.  My chicken tenders did not turn out so well.  I can't remember the mac and cheese but the whole party kind of felt like a dud with my cheesy diet food.  Duds happen, what can I say.  So I want to try again to have a somewhat healthy menu but I'd like to avoid slight of hand recipes like oven baked chicken tenders, oven baked fries, etc -- they just aren't as good as the original.

What I do make is a pretty mean healthy turkey burger.  I use ground turkey breast and add an egg and chopped onion and cook them up.  They are different than burgers but good.  I really like onion so that helps.  Brian has been buying the pre-portioned turkey burgers at Costco and then using a slice of cheese and a piece of bacon.  That works really good too.  I thought sliders would be a good idea.  I don't want to do a "sliders bar" and have fixings and all that, it's too much work.  I think I will make the burger with cheese and bacon, a mixture of our two recipes, and then have mayo, ketchup, and mustard if people want them.  Maybe a slice of pickle.

From pinterest I found loads of ideas and though subject to change I think these are the new things I'm going to try:

Lasagna Cupcake -- use wanton wrappers for the "noodles" and fill with lasagna toppings (I'm going to skip ricotta because I don't like ricotta)


Caprese Salad - I think this is pretty and is not only a salad option but great for the vegetarians who come to our parties.  I usually serve a wedge of brie with cut up baguette (it's one of my favorite things) but I think this will be a better substitute calorie wise).


Fruit Kabob - also pretty but I might have too many tooth pick options and that gets time consuming so we'll see, you can always just throw all this in a bowl and have a fruit salad.

 

Two Bite Chocolate Cream Pie - This is only like 100 calories each, obviously they are small.  I do not like dessert recipes with weird swaps from Whole Wheat flour to fake sugar, it's just not my thing.  I'd rather go the portion control route.


I also always do tuxedo strawberries for the Oscar and a veggie tray will be imperative.  We also like to get a shrimp cocktail ring thing they sell at grocery stores.  Those are so easy!  I think that's enough food.

PS - Is it weird to do a chocolate pie the year "The Help" is nominated?

5 comments:

  1. OK... help needed for the non US residents!What are sliders? Are they just small burgers in a small bun? And tuxedo strawberries, are these strawberries dipped in something? The lasagne cupcakes are a genius idea I think, and the fruit kebabs look so pretty, as do the little tomato things.

    It can be so difficult catering when you're on a diet. Last time I made myself throw all the less-healthy leftovers in the bin at the end of the night, but I found it so difficult to throw food away. Or maybe make food you don't actually like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, small burgers and buns. Tuxedo strawberries are covered in white chocolate and then semi sweet chocolate to look like tuxedos. They are a big hit.

    http://isinginthekitchen.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/img_00881.jpg

    We're lucky in that we can bring leftovers to the office for everyone to enjoy so they don't sit in our fridge tempting us. I think the idea is to only make things you can eat. Desserts are very easy to give away at the end of the night so they are no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the strawberries - I've never seen those before, so thanks for the link.

    I saw some strawberries the other day dipped in white chocolate then blue sugar, which I've earmarked as an idea for the Queen's Jubilee celebrations later this year, as there will be a lot of parties going on then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw those on your pinterest. I have some gold dust I bought a year or so ago to make Oscar cookies. Dusted on the strawberries, like the sugar, would look extra extravagant. Or if I could think of a way to add polka dots.

      Delete
  4. Sounds wonderful! The chocolate pie is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete